Quote of the moment...

"Remaining positive really is one of the most precious faculties for any athlete."- Chrissie Wellington

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Hip hip...huh??

Saturday was a cut-back week for our long run. After a series of weeks that call for longer and longer runs, we cut back on the mileage to give our muscles a chance to rest and recover. We only went 13 miles this week. Only!! It was actually a really nice run largely along the Gage Canal in Riverside. The canal was built in the late 1800's, and pretty much is the reason why the citrus industry was able to flourish in Riverside...it brought water for irrigation. Today it still winds through citrus groves and green house nurseries, with the sound of flowing water to keep you company through the miles. The surface is packed dirt, with some brief areas of gravel, so generally it's softer on the joints than running on pavement. Or so you'd think.

While I felt okay on the run, almost as soon as I finished, I started feeling a twinge in my right hip and down my right leg. This is the same issue that gave me trouble when I was training for my first half marathon. I'm told it's an inflammation/spasm of the piriformis muscle...which puts some pressure on the sciatic nerve. Oddly, it doesn't hurt at all when I run, only after I stop or after sitting for very long. What I found really strange is that it didn't flair up until a cut-back week, when I was running less than usual!! I followed the prescribed treatment that I got the last time this problem presented itself: NSAID's and stretching. I took my runs a little easier this week, and so far, it seems to be feeling a bit better. I sincerely hope it is, because this Saturday, I'll be tackling my first ever 20 mile run. The longest run I've done to date. I admit I'm a bit nervous, but I'm excited, too. We'll be running along the Santa Ana River Trail, all the way out past Angel Stadium in Anaheim! Now THAT is going out for a run. I'll check in afterwards to let you know how things went...thinking positive and not letting those negative thoughts get to me. I was inspired this week by a Nike ad I saw and loved. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment