Quote of the moment...

"Remaining positive really is one of the most precious faculties for any athlete."- Chrissie Wellington

Sunday, May 30, 2010

The countdown is ON!

Yesterday I did my last "long" training run before race day. Ten miles seemed like a short run...but 26.2 seems like an awfully long way. I'm ready, I've trained, I know I can do it, but today I have begun my pre-race wrestle with self-doubt. This is typical "me" and always happens to me in the week or so before race day. I start having ridiculous anxiety about crazy things like...what if I need a change of socks at mile 5?? What if I forget something?? What if I'm too slow and the SAG car picks me up??? (Support And Gear vehicles will pick up runners that are too slow to meet the course time limit, lagging or injured.) Then the big fears start creeping in. What if I can't do it??? What if it's too much for me??? What if I DNF?!?!? (That's race code for Did Not Finish, and something no runner ever really wants next to their name on the results list.)

Now is the time I have to sit back, stop pacing the floor (because I'm tapering down my runs, and I can't work off the anxiety running!) and just trust my training. I KNOW I can do this. I will do this. I am strong. I am ready. Watch out San Diego. I'm going to ROCK the Rock 'n Roll!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment