Quote of the moment...

"Remaining positive really is one of the most precious faculties for any athlete."- Chrissie Wellington

Saturday, February 2, 2013

The checklist.

In Southern California, we are heavy into race season. Lots of folks are running lots of races right now. In fact, I have several friends venturing out for their first half marathon TOMORROW and I'm so excited for them. It makes me think about my first race, with all the excitement and nervousness. I still get butterflies sometimes before I race, but nothing like that first time. I was SO worried I would forget something I needed and arrive at the start line minus something important. (Before my first race, I kept dreaming I needed socks. I have never forgotten socks. Yet.)

So before that first race, and for every race after, I have had a "race checklist." I put everything important on the list and I don't leave my house until I've gone through and checked each and every item off. And I don't mean I just think I packed it. I physically make sure it's packed. Yes. I am a little obsessive. But I also have never forgotten anything important. (Yet.)

So without further ado, I give you my "Race Checklist." Please note that this is MY checklist. You should alter it for your own purposes. If you don't use a Strassburg Sock (and if you suffer from Plantar Fasciitis, you should!) then take that off. If you have a favorite pillow that you can't sleep without, add that. Make it your own.

While I'm on the topic of pre-race planning, here are a few tips I've picked up along my way:

1. The day before the race, do not spend all day walking around the expo or sightseeing. It's tempting, but do the expo thing and then try to stay off your feet if you can. Rest those legs.

2. Do NOT eat anything new, weird, extra spicy or previously untried the day before the race. This includes the funky energy bars (and drinks) at the expo. Take a sample home, but don't snack on it if you haven't tried it before. Who knows what it might do to your stomach later. Trust me on this one. Also, stick to something simple for dinner that you know you tolerate. Don't go for the Double Fire Diablo Shrimp dinner even though it sounds amazing. Simple is better. Trust me on that, too.

3. Drink, drink, drink. Superhydrate yourself the day before. Do not OVERhydrate yourself. Check this handy chart (from Boy Scouts of America...you know scouts are always prepared!) to see how you're doing.
4. Lay out your race day gear the night before. Put your shirt on and pin your bib on the night before, too. (Then take it off again. You don't have to sleep in it!) It is no fun getting up at the crack of darkness on race morning, potentially stressed that you might be late, and stabbing yourself in the chest while you frantically try to pin on your bib. Besides, if you pin it on the night before, you have plenty of time to readjust it in case you put the pins in, ahem, awkward spots. Again, trust me on this. Lay it all out, socks, shoes, Garmin, everything, and pin that bib on. The less you have to worry about when you wake up, the better.
 
That's all I've got for now! Good luck, my racing friends!
 
What pre-race rituals or tips do you have? Have you ever forgotten something important on race day?

No comments:

Post a Comment