Quote of the moment...

"Remaining positive really is one of the most precious faculties for any athlete."- Chrissie Wellington

Friday, February 22, 2013

I'm not really Mysophobic.

Mysophobia: a pathological fear of contamination and germs. Also called germophobia.

Okay, I promise I'm not Mysophobic. Just because I wipe everything with Clorox, wash my hands until they bleed, offer up sanitizer whether you want it or not, and constantly consider whether my post-nasal drip is just allergy or something more sinister. Just because I turn my head and cover my face when someone coughs or sneezes, sometimes awkwardly try to get out of shaking hands, and make my children kiss mommy on the cheek please, when they are sniffly nosed, I am not a germophobe. Okay, maybe a little. It's just that, well, I have a race coming up and I don't want to get sick and mess up my training schedule, or WORSE, be sick on race day.

I am a little fanatical, especially during cold and flu season (which happens to be a peak racing season around here.) My kids have both had a bug that I have been frantically trying to avoid. So I do all the aforementioned things, plus I try to eat more garlic (friends and family love that, I'm sure) and take lots of Emergen'C to boost my Vitamin C.

Yum.

Fortunately, I recently read a study from the British Journal of Sports Medicine that found during exercise white blood cells and immunoglobulin numbers in the bloodstream increase for a short time, which may account for fewer bouts of colds and sickness in those that exercise regularly. In my interpretation, that makes a good workout like a mini germ cleanse. You boost those white blood cells, which can then fight off any random bugs that happen to be mustering in an attempt at a hostile takeover. Yeah, I don't know if it really works like that exactly, but it's fun to imagine a white blood cell army sweeping through and vanquishing all the bad guys in their path. A surge like that every day ought to help keep you pretty healthy. Right?

Just in case those extra immunity surges aren't enough, I'm going to keep using the Clorox wipes and sanitizer, and keep taking my Emergen'C to be safe. And try to get plenty of sleep. And try not to be  a total Mysophobe.

What do you do to help stay healthy during cold and flu season?

No comments:

Post a Comment