Quote of the moment...

"Remaining positive really is one of the most precious faculties for any athlete."- Chrissie Wellington

Saturday, January 22, 2011

XGames

Tomorrow it will officially be two weeks since I've run. TWO WEEKS!! As difficult as it has been for me to abstain from my favorite form of stress relief/endorphine high/exercise, I have been doing pretty well. (Although my family might say otherwise, as I've been a bit snippy and snarky without my steam release valve!) Crosstraining has always been a very weak spot for me, and I'm having to learn the hard way that it truly is beneficial. Running every single day can definitely contribute to overuse injuries, and alternating with another activity can only make you stronger and more well-rounded.  I've tried to make this search for something else to enjoy into a game; I call it my "XGame." The object?  Try as many new crosstraining things in a week as I can.

So far I have spent my two weeks off doing elliptical, stair climber (the actual stair tread one!), stair master (the not actual stairs one!), stationary bike, swimming laps, water aerobics, Zumba, yoga, walking, and strength training. I have to say, I did not find myself terribly enamored with any of it. I spent my 45 minutes on the elliptical staring at people running on the treadmills. I tried to imagine I was running, too. It didn't work. I was bummed out for the whole workout. It would take way too long for me to recount what I disliked about each and every other workout I tried, but suffice it to say that NOTHING seemed to feed my need for endorphines the way that running does. However, out of everything I tried, I think I liked the stair climber best. This is the machine with actual stairs that go around on a tread, so it really is like climbing stairs. It's the one and only workout that had me dripping in sweat like I do when I run. I just don't feel like I'm getting a good workout if I'm not drenched when it's over! Strength training is something else I didn't totally hate. I find it boring and not nearly as intensely gratifying as a good run, but when I do a lower body workout I imagine my leg muscles getting stronger and making me faster when I am able to run again.

Between laying off the running, trying out new workouts and physical therapy,  I hope that my hamstring is resting and healing and becoming stronger. It better. I'm not going to be able to hold back the running monster much longer...although now I might be willing to swap in some days of climbing the stairs and strength training. Maybe. In the meantime, I still might need to buy this shirt: CAUTION: Injured Runner. May Bite.

What do YOU do for Crosstraining? Have a suggestion for something I should try? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment