Quote of the moment...

"Remaining positive really is one of the most precious faculties for any athlete."- Chrissie Wellington

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Time-out.

Well, I finally have a diagnosis for the nagging hip/butt injury I've had for over 6 months now. No, it doesn't appear to be Dead Butt Syndrome, though that might be funnier. I have high hamstring tendonitis. It's likely an overuse injury, and, according to my orthopedist it is probably due in major portion to my aversion to crosstraining. A runner needs to be well-rounded. No matter how often I've heard that crosstraining should be part of every runner's training plan, to me that meant mixing up intervals, speedwork and hills. I never seem to enjoy anything but...running. Now I'm faced with a rehab program that includes yoga, swimming and strength training. I also have a bike sitting in the garage that needs riding, if I can just get up the nerve. Although I'm still glum about not being able to run for at least a couple weeks, I'm hopeful that this forced foray in crosstraining will help me learn to enjoy some things besides running that will ultimate help me become a better runner.

So far, I have done water aerobics (eh...not that exciting), laps in the pool (BORING), yoga (I can't seem to relax or slow down enough) and some lower body and core strength training. The strength training I like. I imagine the muscles getting stronger to help propel me along faster once I get back to running. The rest, I'm hopeful that I will learn to enjoy. Or at least tolerate.

This something that's needed to happen for a long time. I am resolved to make the best of my running time-out, to learn something new, and hopefully come back better, stronger and with the realization that there are things I can do, and SHOULD do, besides run. Even though they are not as much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment