There are a few things that can totally throw off your mental game when you're running. One of them is running against the wind.
I needed to get in the 5 miler scheduled for tomorrow's team run today, because tomorrow I am the "stay-behind." That means I stay back at our start point and act as an emergency contact, guardian of the key can, and watcher of the drink jug. I had the time to get the run in today, so I didn't mind. Or so I thought.
I got out there and felt GREAT on the out portion of the out-and-back. I felt cool, fast, together, in the flow. I was sub-pace and enjoying myself. Until the turn around. Suddenly I realized why I had felt so fast and cool. The wind slapped me in the face and blew gravel into my legs the moment I turned. Why hadn't I noticed how hard it was blowing while I was going out??? My eyes were stinging, and every step felt like I was running smack into a squishy rubber wall. I don't think I've ever run into a headwind like that before. It was all I could do to muster the willpower to keep going. I desperately wanted to stop. I wanted to find a shortcut home. I wanted to bug out and be done.
I am very pleased to say that I stuck it out. I did battle with the wind and battle in my mind. I think I may have had one of the slowest average pace times I've ever run, but by gosh, I made it all the way home. Physically, it wasn't my best run. Mentally, it was way up there. Today I fought the wind, and won.
On another note, I met an amazing guy on my run today. He was maybe mid-60's, dressed for a long bike ride and coming up behind me at a slow cruising speed. Anyone coming up next to me on a run tends to make me nervous, but this guy had a huge smile and sort of reminded me of my dad. He mentioned how it was a great day to run, aside from the wind, as he came up alongside me. I agreed and he asked me if I was training for something. I told him I was, and we started chatting a little. He said he was training for the LA Marathon coming up this Sunday, but that he might do the San Diego, too. Turns out this guy has run 27 marathons in 27 months. His goal is to do a marathon a month for as long as he can do it. Wow. I was amazed! We parted ways shortly, because I had a big hill to tackle and he was at his turnaround. We wished each other luck and safety, and went on our way. I hope he keeps doing a marathon a month for a long, long time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment