Running as often as I do around the area where I live, I have noticed a few folks being a bit unsafe out there. I'm certainly far from perfect myself, but I really felt like I should point out a few important safety notes.
If you are running before dawn or after dusk, please, please remember to wear light colors and reflective gear. Just the other night, I was driving home in the dark and came awfully close to hitting a fellow who was running along the shoulder, with his back to traffic, and wearing ALL black. It scared me to death, and I hope it gave him a wake-up call, too. If it's dark and you're wearing black, drivers have a tough time seeing you. Even drivers like me who are hypersensitive to runners out on the roads. If all your running clothes are dark colors and don't have reflective print or piping on them, invest in a reflective vest, armband or legbands. Anything that will help you be seen.
I am totally guilty of one thing that people tell me over and over is not safe. I run with my iPod. The things is, I keep it low enough that I can carry on a conversation with someone next to me, and I can hear traffic and other ambient noises around me. I don't use the earphones that actually plug into your ears, rather the buds that just sit on the outside of your ear. This really helps me be able to pay attention to outside noises. I'm pointing this one out because as I was running along yesterday, I was coming up behing a woman who was walking and seemed oblivious to my approach. I didn't want to startle her, so I called out several times before I got too close, letting her know I was coming up behind. She had headphones on, and apparently they were so loud, she couldn't hear me coming or calling to her. When I went to pass her, she nearly jumped out of her skin, and then she yelled at me for scaring her. If someone had wanted to come behind her and attack her or grab her, she wouldn't have been the wiser until it was too late.
Next up, when running against traffic and coming up to an intersection where a driver is making a right turn, remember that many drivers making a right turn don't always look to THEIR right. They are looking left to check oncoming traffic. If you are running up towards them, they might not see you before they start their turn. I saw a guy last weekend almost get hit due to this very circumstance. It's always a good idea to try to make eye contact with a driver in an intersection so you KNOW they see you.
Last thing, then I promise to get off the box, is bring ID with you. You think it won't happen to you, but I know of two friends that have had accidents while running, and it is so important to have ID. If you aren't able to communicate for any reason, it will help others help you and potentially contact your family or friends. I run with RoadID and I feel the peace of mind is totally worth the expense.
Alright, I'll hush now and return to the regularly scheduled training updates. Please be careful out there!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment