Quote of the moment...

"Remaining positive really is one of the most precious faculties for any athlete."- Chrissie Wellington

Monday, March 1, 2010

Waterlogged warrior

Okay, I remember feeling very hardcore the last time I ran in the rain. It was a 14.5 miler and even though I came back looking like a drowned rat, I actually kind of liked it.

This past Saturday, our Team practice was in the POURING rain. I don't just mean raining, I mean pouring so hard it made it hard to see sometimes. And secretly? I still liked it!! We did around an hour and I wasn't even miserable when I stopped...of course, I was prepared this time! I had a towel, change of shirt, dry jacket and dry shoes and socks waiting in the car. Plus, I ran in the new Asics Storm Shelter jacket I got for Christmas (thanks honey!!) and it was awesome. Kept me dry without making me hot.

Giant puddles made my feet squishy, water dripped off the brim of my hat right into my face, my running tights were more like a wetsuit. And, I liked it. How scary is that?? Running in the rain feels like looking Mother Nature in the face and saying, "You will not stop me!" I am runner. Hear me roar. It does just feel hardcore.

I did, however, REALLY enjoy my hot shower and hot coffee when I got home. There's something to be said for the post-inclement weather run warm-up, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment