Quote of the moment...

"Remaining positive really is one of the most precious faculties for any athlete."- Chrissie Wellington

Friday, April 5, 2013

Disappointment kicked to the curb.

This week, I am running again. What an amazing feeling it is just to run. To be able to just put one foot in front of the other and not feel pain shooting through my knee. I am reminding myself of this blessing because for a while I couldn't ignore the tinge of disappointment that accompanied me once I got past those first glorious miles. That devilish voice was whispering in my ear: look at how slow you are, look at how you struggle to finish just 5k, look at how much you've lost.

It's true that when injury hit, I was running my fastest times ever. I'd just PR'd a half marathon. I ate 8-mile runs for lunch and my usual long runs were 10+. After almost four weeks of barely doing any cardio at all, I feel back at square one. But while I may have lost fitness, I have gained other things. I have been strength training and I already feel the difference it makes in my stride and my form. I have done more yoga and feel more in-tune with my body than ever. I have had time to reflect on my long-term goals and the many blessings I have.

Was I disappointed to see the fitness gains I worked so hard for have slipped away? Yes. Am I ready to earn them back? Absolutely. My goals may be longer term for now, but since I plan to keep running well into the future, I will look at the big picture. Every small step forward is still a step forward. That devil on my shoulder, the one whispering negativity and disappointment in my ear? He sat there for a day and spouted off, but then I flicked him off his perch and am choosing to keep looking up, to keep focusing on what's good. And what is good is that I am running again.

I have not forgotten our Plank Challengers! I know some of you are doing it along with me. I don't know about you, but after about 70 seconds, it started to get exponentially harder! Today was supposed to be 100 seconds. I admit that with 36 seconds left, I had to lower myself to knees. Still, when I started I thought I would collapse after just 30 seconds, and today I am holding for over a minute. Will I make it to two minutes? I don't know, but I do know that when this thing is over I will be able to hold it for longer than when I started, which was really the main goal of the challenge! I can't wait to hear some feedback from those of you that have been participating along with me. I did promise a prize at the end too, so be watching for that post coming after the challenge is over on Saturday.

What do you do when negative thoughts start to bring you down? How do you stay positive? What is the longest you've ever held a plank position?

1 comment:

  1. Great post, perfect timing. I've been struggling after a looong MN winter and being sick and am so familiar with that sneaky, snakey voice. Argh. Thanks for the attitude adjustment.

    ReplyDelete