Quote of the moment...

"Remaining positive really is one of the most precious faculties for any athlete."- Chrissie Wellington

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Beauty from pain.

Wow, last week was a very emotional week. It was a blessing to meet with other runners in my running group on Saturday to talk about Boston and dedicate our miles. What really came out of our discussion was how much we need to remember that life is such a precious gift, and that we need to love each other and care about each other and encourage each other as much as possible for the time we have been given on this earth. I think I've cried more in the past week than I have in a long, long time, but the beautiful stories of love and kindness that are coming out of this awful craziness have amazed me. I especially loved the story of the guy who finished the race, but gave his medal to a distraught young lady who wasn't able to finish. (The whole incredible story can be found here: http://articles.ktuu.com/2013-04-19/medal_38680566)

I've heard so many other stories...people giving away the shirts and jackets on their backs to cold and frightened runners, people coming out of their homes with juice and bagels, people giving each other rides and opening their homes to the stranded and shellshocked. The good truly outweighs the evil, and that is so beautiful.

Since last Monday, a lot of people have asked me if I'm afraid to run races now. The answer is a vehement NO! If anything, I am even more inspired to get out there and race again. In what more tangible way can we prove that evil doesn't get to win? We won't be cowed and shackled by fear. "For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline." (2 Timothy 1:7 NASB) As a matter of fact, I started actively looking for races I could do SOON. Running is tied to my emotional and spiritual well being as much so or perhaps even more than my physical well being, so running a race now feels like it should be part of the healing.

Love this bracelet from Endorphin Warrior. 


There are so many ways being put out there to help and support Boston's victims. I tried to compile a comprehensive list, but it kept growing until it got out of control, which is a pretty awesome problem. So instead of trying to name everything, I'm just going to list a few.

The One Fund Boston was set up to help those most affected by the Bombings in Boston. You can donate directly if you would like.

My friends at Another Mother Runner have a simple and super cute limited edition cotton memorial tee that will benefit The One Fund Boston. It is only available to order through April 26th, though, so act fast if you want one.

Tough Chik has an awesome "Boston Tough, Boston Strong" performance tee that will also benefit The One Fund Boston. The shirt may be a limited run so order that one quick, too.

My super amazing friend Sandy at BIC Bands put together a fabulous Boston Strong headband, also contributing to The One Fund. Check out the prototype. Again, limited edition!

There are literally tons of other folks and events out there doing great things to help out the victims of the Boston Marathon bombing. Search on Google for other ways you can help.

Run on, strong and fearless!

No comments:

Post a Comment