Quote of the moment...

"Remaining positive really is one of the most precious faculties for any athlete."- Chrissie Wellington

Monday, July 18, 2011

Mental GU.

The other day I was listening to my favorite podcast, The Marathon Show. The epsiode featured some fellow runners...Dave Mari (who was a no show!), Greg Goebel and Endorphin Dude. During the show, Greg asked "what makes you happy at a race?" I was thinking maybe the answers would be "cheering crowds", "inspirational signs," or even "post-race chocolate milk," but instead, Endorphin Dude said this (paraphrased a little): If you can get someone to smile, if someone's smiling, that changes their whole mood. It gets rid of that blister, it gives them that shot of Gu, that mental Gu that they need to cross the finish line.

I LOVED THAT! Mental Gu!! There are many, many countless times when I've felt the need for some mental Gu. That's  usually when I pull out one of my "mantras" to boost my positive thinking. I have been trying to come up with some new ones lately, so I went back and read some of my blog entries from a while back about the power of positive thinking. Think positive, BE positive. (I think this one is my favorite: http://runsoncoffee.blogspot.com/2010/09/marathon-inspiration-mantras.html)
Sometimes this is my mental Gu.

When I'm feeling slow, or my legs feel like lead, I can't keep the pace and I just want to be done, whine, whine, whine...I know that I can put a cork in it if I just grab onto some good, positive thoughts to replace it. In the past, I've used, "you've got this," "I love hills," "don't think, just run," "breathe and relax.". (I have also used, "Hurry up slowbie, if you run faster you'll get your coffee sooner!!") Runners World has a "Mantra Builder", but nothing seems to fit me right now. My search is on for a new phrase that will remind me to be positive and strong, to give me that shot of Mental Gu. If I can beat the voice in my head, I win.

Maybe something like Dory's "Just Keep Swimming" mantra, from Finding Nemo. That negative girl in me is the only thing standing between me and the finish line, and I'm pretty sure I can take her if I stop being Mrs. Grumpygills. Just keep running, just keep running, just keep running, running, running...

What's YOUR mental Gu???

(Video excerpt from Disney Pixar's "Finding Nemo.")

No comments:

Post a Comment