I have to gush a little about my "running group." I'm not even sure I can really call it that, because it's sort of just a loose invitation I put out to a group of about 11 girlfriends for a morning run of about 4 or so miles on Wednesdays at 5am. (Hence the name "4 at 5".) I started doing it last summer when I had to go that early because my husband leaves for work at 6:10, and I had to be back before that since the kids were still home in bed! Now that it's fall and they are in school, I could go later in the day, but I've gotten used to this mid-week early morning routine. There are some regulars and some that come and go, but I usually have at least one or two and sometimes as many as 6 show up.
It's hard to get up that early to run, but knowing that other people are waiting on me motivates me to do it anyway. And having that early morning run time to chat with girlfriends is somehow a balm to my spirit. The rest of my day always goes smoother afterwards, and it feels GREAT to know I've finished up 4 miles before most people have even rolled out of their beds. It's empowering...I feel good and strong and self-disciplined. Another bonus to going that early: I get to come home to a nice hot cup of coffee and some quiet time before the kids wake up! Not to mention I actually SEE my husband before he leaves for work.
So thank you to my running girlfriends, who are willing to roll out of bed at such an unreasonable hour, when it's still dark and quiet outside and everyone else is dreaming away. You put on your running shoes and head out the door before most people have yawned and stretched and squinted at their clocks, and you wait for me, ready for whatever hills or loops or crazy new courses I've mapped out for us to try. You make the miles go fast and the mornings go so much better. I am so grateful for you!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment