Quote of the moment...

"Remaining positive really is one of the most precious faculties for any athlete."- Chrissie Wellington

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Nike Women's Half Marathon 2010

This past Sunday I ran the Nike Women's Half in San Francisco! What an incredible weekend! Our plane arrived later than expected, so it was late Friday night when we finally got to our hotel, only to find that the hotel workers were on strike and picketing (LOUDLY) outside. Wow. Even that couldn't dampen spirits, though. Neither could clouds and rain on race day!! The race was everything I had expected and more...there were hills upon hills upon hills, but there were fun things to see at almost every mile, great music, and GREAT friends running with me.

According to my Garmin, I beat my previous PR at this race by about 40 seconds. Unfortunately, the chip time showed up as 2 minutes slower than my Garmin. I'm not sure what happened (I'm still convinced the wet weather might've shorted something in the chip timing system! Haha!) but either way, I'm VERY happy with my time. With all those hills and the rain to boot, to be that close to a PR that was set in Huntington Beach on a FLAT course felt pretty darn good to me. I'll take it. And I'll take the Tiffany's necklace that was handed to me at the finish line. It's going to be a treasured memento of a wonderful weekend I won't soon forget.

I hope to be back there next year!! For now, I'm looking forward to the LA Rock N Roll race THIS Sunday. It's a little overzealous of me, I'm sure, to plan back to back half marathons like this, but I'm having fun and will be running this race with a girlfriend who has never run a half before. It will be fun to pace her and not to worry at all about my own finishing time on this one. My next planned attempt at breaking my PR will be in Vegas on December 5th...until then, I'm just going to try to relax and have fun! I'll let you know how that goes...

For a race recap, check out Shamus' "blog" here.

No comments:

Post a Comment