The bottom line is, I'm still the neutral runner I've always been and my Ghosts are still the most comfortable shoes out of what I tried. They did offer up a few new options. Superfeet insoles and Feetures anatomical socks with arch compression. Wait, what? Anatomically correct socks? I won't even go into the thoughts that crossed my mind. I have never used insoles before other than the ones that come with my shoes, and I admit I was a tiny bit skeptical. However, once they were in place inside my shoes, I was impressed. The added support in the arch felt fantastic. As for the socks, once I got them on the correct feet (anatomical meaning there is a "right" and "left" sock) the arch compression also felt great, especially on the right PF prone side. I trotted around the store in the new getup and liked it so I brought it all home to give it a real trial run.
My first thought when I heard "anatomical socks" was of Slim Goodbody. Anyone remember that guy? Oddly, he's actually still around...
A few days ago I managed to put the new socks on the anatomically correct feet (in the dark!) and I headed out the door with the new insoles too. I only covered about six miles, but I noticed some stuff right off. First, my ever problematic end of toe blisters and toenails did not hurt. At all. Also, I did not tape my PF and it was not hurting, either. (KT Tape, I love you, but you are expensive to use all the time!) Last, I felt like my toe-off and overall foot alignment was much more even. It just felt more...balanced.
The kicker? I ran my fastest mile EVER and held my fastest overall average pace ever. And it felt comfortable. And GOOD. Yes, I have been training hard, but if some insoles and anatomical socks can make pushing my pace feel that awesome, I'm embracing that. We'll see how my next long run goes.
Have you ever run in anatomical socks? What brands of socks are you favorites?
No comments:
Post a Comment