Quote of the moment...

"Remaining positive really is one of the most precious faculties for any athlete."- Chrissie Wellington

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Swimming and muscles I didn't know I had.

TYR Have a Nice Day Silicone Cap, Yellow
My swim cap is not this cool.
This week I "officially" started crosstraining in the pool. We have a rectangular pool, so I calculated it out and 3 laps (out and back, 3 times) = 100 meters. Geared with this knowledge, my swim cap and goggles, I leaped in on Monday to see what I could do. In just 400 meters, I bonked. (Does one "bonk" in swimming? Or is it called "near-drowning from exhaustion" instead??) Good gravy, swimming is hard!! Especially when you're like me and you have tiny T-Rex arms that you never use.

Day two, I resolved to do better and squeaked out 600 meters. I thought I'd done pretty well, until later that night, my shoulders began to feel as if I'd been carrying 50 lb bags of dog food on each side for several hours. (Dog food being about the heaviest thing I carry these days.)

No, these aren't mine.
The first two days, I'd done my swim AFTER running several miles first, so on day three I decided to give running a rest and see what I could do if I just swam. I pulled out a pretty decent 800 meter swim and was totally pleased with myself. By that evening, however, I was NOT pleased with myself. I seriously felt like my arms might actually fall off of my body. I'd be like one of my kids' LEGO mini-figures, missing arms. Unfortunately, unlike the mini-figs, I can't just pop new arms on. If I could do that, I'd definitely pop on Chrissy Wellington's, anyway.

I think I need to back off the enthusiasm a little. I hurt. I forgot I had muscles up there in my shoulders, but I am quite aware of them now. I am excited about swimming more this summer, but I look forward to the time when there is not as much pain. And also to the time when I can finish 800 meters with a little less flailing and gasping. Thank goodness I have the whole summer to work on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment