Quote of the moment...

"Remaining positive really is one of the most precious faculties for any athlete."- Chrissie Wellington

Monday, April 4, 2011

Matchy match my ride

What is up with cyclists? Okay, I am NOT slamming my bike-loving friends. I have lots of them, and they are awesomely cool people. But seriously, I need to know this. Why are they so matchy matchy all the time? Again, this is an honest question I don't know the answer to and want to understand.

Running along the river trail I see lots of other runners and lots of riders. Most of the other runners are like me...hair up or mashed into a hat and running clothes that are functional and comfortable but don't necessarily match. My blue striped Adiddas tights are SUPER comfy but they don't match my favorite purple running shirt. Do I care? No. Does my favorite bright pink hat clash with the ensemble? Yes. Do I care? Again, I have to say no. I don't typcially give one iota whether I am fashionably uncool when I run. Although I might sweat over "the perfect attire" for race day, it's  not because I worry if it all "goes together." I'm more worried about what might chafe or get too warm or make me uncomfortable.

Now, while I do see the occasional cyclist with (gasp) mismatched gear, most of the folks I see flying by are in completely matching attire. SERIOUSLY matchy matchy. Even their helmets coordinate. Jerseys match shorts match socks match shoe covers match the gosh darn bike! What is up with this? Are we runnerscompletely fashionably lowbrow? Do cyclists buy entire outfits in one shopping trip? Am I alone in my perfectly UNcoordinated looks? Do YOU match when you run?

No comments:

Post a Comment