I have finally worked up to running 4 miles again. Woohoo! It's long and slow, this recovery, but I have learned some important lessons. First and foremost, crosstraining is something I need to do. Secondly, strength training is important. And last, I am in love with KT Tape.
I've posted before that I find it difficult to crosstrain because I don't really like anything else besides running. That's still true, but I've found that when I back off my mileage two days a week and at least attempt to mix in a ride on the bike or a swim or some stair climbing, I'm better able to manage when I do shoot for a longer distance run. It must be working, so I reluctantly keep doing it.
I have been working a lot on core strength and balance, and since my hamstring has been compensating for a messed up hip flexor and misfiring gluteal muscles (turns out I needed to "move my butt" more. LOL!), I've also been doing some strength training and stretching of those muscles. I found a great video that outlines a lot of the exercises I've been doing for the hips and glutes, in case anyone is interested:
Additionally, I've been doing crunches, wall squats, something called a supine march and bridges. I do feel a difference when I'm running, too. My core feels stronger and more stable, my pelvis has less of a forward tilt, and the best part is, my hamstring is feeling less painful because it isn't trying to overload itself compensating for all my weaknesses! Out of strength training and cross training, I definitely prefer strength training. I do it now after almost every run when I can.
Another thing I've added is KT Tape. KT Tape is Kinesiology tape...you tape muscles, ligaments and tendons in certain special ways that help and support injured areas. It looks weird, and when I first started using it, I didn't think it was going to make that much difference. IT DOES. When I'm taped, my hamstring doesn't hurt nearly as much during OR after running. I got taped professionally the first time, but I've since learned to do it myelf. (It ain't easy...I just about have to stand on my head...but it's worth it!) This video instructs you how to apply KT Tape to a hamstring strain, and the application I use is basically the same, just higher up. View the video here.
What do you do for cross training? What's your favorite strength training exercise? Have you ever used KT Tape? Share your thoughts!
Tuesday, March 15, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment