Quote of the moment...

"Remaining positive really is one of the most precious faculties for any athlete."- Chrissie Wellington

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Baby steps!!

Today I saw a tiny glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. Resting for over 3 weeks has been really hard for me. I miss running so much. Running is my steam valve, my release, my quiet time. Not running has left me feeling more stressed than usual, less patient than usual, and (as my family will probably gladly report) a bit grumpier than usual. There really is an emotional injury added to the physical injury when you can't run. Today, however, I was able to run 3 x 5 minute intervals on the treadmill with NO PAIN! It was blissful. I wanted to keep going and going, but I curbed myself. Baby steps.

In the meantime, while I continue to rein in my enthusiasm to get back to the sport I love, I read a funny the other day that I wanted to share. It was talking about the well-known injury treatment of RICE. R if for Rest to allow the body time to heal, I for Ice to speed recovery and reduce swelling, C for Compression to further limit swelling, and E for Elevation to aid circulation. The article I read by Dr. Kamal Jabbour said that runners have their own version of RICE: R for Run through the pain, I for lots of Ibuprofen, C for Cortisone injections and E for Emergency room trip. I hope I have learned my lesson about THAT kind of RICE treatment.

I will not push it...I will not push it...I will not push it...baby steps!

No comments:

Post a Comment