Quote of the moment...

"Remaining positive really is one of the most precious faculties for any athlete."- Chrissie Wellington

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Grouchy and ouchy

I went to practice today. Our Seattle Rock n' Roll marathoners went 10 miles today. I went 3. The hip hurt pretty bad for the first mile, and pain radiated into my calf until it felt like I had the worst charlie horse ever. And this was run/walking. By mile 2, it felt like it had loosened up and relaxed a bit and was just about totally pain free. The last mile, it was tightening up again. I could literally feel the muscle start to clench and spasm, grabbing my sciatic nerve and squeeeeeeeezing. This is so frustrating! I really hope my physical therapist can help me work this out, because I'm not going to give up.

Once I stop running, the muscle totally knots itself up and that's when it REALLY hurts. I am icing, stretching and trying not to sit for too long at one stretch. Sitting makes it much worse. Stretching feels the best, so if I have to sit, I choose the floor and try to stretch or roll it on my massage roller. (This is the best gift I ever got and I use it DAILY. If you run, you need one of these things.) I am using up the BioFreeze samples I got at the marathon expo, and will soon switch back to Icy Hot. Menthol seems to be my perfume of choice these days.

So I continue to limp along, run/walking as I can and cross training in the pool or elliptical when I can't. I'm grumpier than usual, though, and I'm sure my family will be much happier when I'm out running more regularly again. I will be happier, too!!

On a slightly more upbeat note, I got my finish line photo back from the marathon photographers. I look much happier than I felt, which is a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment