It has been raining in Southern California for the last five days. Raining HARD. We've had storms like I've never seen in all the years I've lived out here. Crazy wind, driving wind, thunder, lightning and even tornadoes! I admit that I've been treadmill running a lot this week. This morning I awoke to freezing cold temps, but a clear sky. Okay, so it wasn't quite freezing, but 38 degrees is close enough for this thin-blooded California girl. I crawled out of my warm bed and did NOT want to go out in the cold. Don't get me wrong, I was looking forward to my run (yes, you did read that right), but I was in no way, shape or form looking forward to being cold. I wrestled my brain into submission and got dressed anyway. I stood for a moment at the front door, knowing I was going to have to take off as soon as it opened to get my body warm, then off I went.
The first mile was miserable. I tried not to think about how cold I was, tried to think about pumping my arms and moving my legs and getting some heat going. My recently submissive brain started screaming at me again, telling me I was going to be miserable for the whole run and it was way too cold to even be awake so early. I pushed on and into the second mile. Coming up to a stoplight, I had to pause and wait for the light, and I took a good look around. I saw green. Not brown, GREEN. Everywhere. And a clear sky. No smog, no marine layer, just clear and blue. The mountains were absolutely blanketed in snow, and the newly rising sun made them seem like most of my kids' art projects...all covered in glitter. I know this is going to start to sound like some cheesy Disney moment, but the birds were singing and I suddenly felt completely thrilled to be alive and running. It was an amazing runner's high that carried me through the whole rest of the run, and I didn't give a second thought to being cold again.
Note to self: sometimes when you're focused too much on what you're unhappy about you miss the chance to realize how truly amazing everything else is. Shift gears and pay attention to what's GOOD and the crummy stuff becomes much more insignificant.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment