Quote of the moment...

"Remaining positive really is one of the most precious faculties for any athlete."- Chrissie Wellington

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The BIG Challenge

I have been wrestling with a lot of things lately. My head has felt ready to explode and my thoughts have been all tied in knots. One of the things I have been struggling with is whether to run the San Diego 1/2 marathon or finally take on the challenge of a full 26.2. I have prayed about it, written about it, talked about it, argued with myself about it and just plain agonized about it. On my run today, I started to think, pray and attempt to untangle the jumble in my head.

Two things. Number one, 13.1 doesn't scare me anymore. I've done it, I know I can do it, I feel that is a challenge I can handle. 26.2, on the other hand, doesn't just scare me, it terrifies me! It's a great big unknown. I've never even come close to running that far. I don't know if I can, but I also thought I couldn't run 13.1 when I first started this journey. Number two, running San Diego with Team in Training, I have a HUGE fundraising goal. In this economy, coming out of the holidays where people spent a lot of money already, and given the fact that I just did fundraising for TNT last summer, I know reaching my goal is going to be very hard work. I am running for two dear friends of mine this time, Craig and Jim, and in my heart...for them...I absolutely CANNOT give-up or fail. I am passionate about the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's cause.

Somewhere around a mile and a half today, I began to get an idea. As it began to grow and flesh out a bit in my head, I got so excited I couldn't wait to come home and post this on the blog. (It made for a pretty fast run! I was anxious to hurry!) This is what I'm going to do:

I need to raise $1500 by February 28th. I have already gotten just over $300. If I can raise just $1200 more by the 28th, I WILL RUN THE FULL MARATHON. That's right. 26.2. So the challenge is thrown down. If I get to $1500 total by February 28th, I will be running a heck of a lot farther than I have ever run before.

I have to be completely honest. Am I thrilled about this challenge?? YES! Am I terrified?? COMPLETELY! But sometimes when you come across a lion and you stare him in the face, you have to make a choice between running away or facing the lion. And today, I feel like a lion chaser.*


* This comes from a great book I just read, and probably what helped inspired me to put forth this challenge. It's called "In a Pit With a Lion on a Snowy Day." A really great read!

No comments:

Post a Comment